LATEST SERMON

NOVEMBER 19, 2017

3 P'S = THANKSGIVING

1 SAMUEL 2:1-3

REVEREND BRANDON CHEEKS

SERMON AUDIO:

http://mychurchwebsite.s3.amazonaws.com/c1473/sermon11192017.mp3

 

 

History of St. John’s Missionary Baptist Church

 

In 1879, at the time many of Salina religious groups were just gaining a foothold, a number of the city’s Negro citizens felt the need of a spiritual organization.  During the same year, under the leadership of Rev. Harper, St. John’s Baptist was born.  There were thirty persons in the organization including Rev. Robert Cox.  The church was incorporated on February 3, 1883.  In 1923, the first shovel of dirt was thrown at a groundbreaking ceremony at 339 North Ninth Street.

 

On November 13, 1957, Rev. J.E. Jones accepted the pastorship.  St. John’s continued to grow spiritually under his leadership.  Many physical improvements took place including central air conditioning, renovating the entire church and parsonage exteriorly and interiorly.  The membership grew to a total of 450.  After 27 years as Pastor of St. John’s, Rev. Jones died in office in 1984.  On July 31, 1977, the cornerstone was entered to secure historical data in preparation of the one hundred year centennial celebration, which began December 1978 and continued through November 1979.

 

Rev. Allen D. Smith enthusiastically accepted the call to fill the pulpit on March 20, 1999. Now it came to pass that in the year of our Lord 1999, the eleventh month, and the 26th day, that a great tragedy befell St. John's Missionary Baptist Church.  Just eight months after Rev. Smith’s pastorate began at St. John’s, the church was completely destroyed by a tragic fire.  After 120 years, St. John’s was once again without a building – creating a need to build a new physical church. As amazing as it may seem, for the next 119 consecutive Sundays, God made it possible for St. John’s to always find a place for its 150-250 members to worship. A spirit-filled groundbreaking ceremony was held on October 22, 2000 at land purchased at 215 South Chicago.  After 17 months of construction, our beautiful sanctuary was completed under the leadership of Rev. Smith.  Proceeded by a parade, our first worship service in this church was held on Sunday, March 17, 2002.  God has blessed us with a building that will serve our community.  As we reach out “Beyond the Walls” we are reminded that the “Real Temple” of God is within each one of us. 

 

 

Rev. Harper

Rev. Banks

Rev. S.A. Williams

Rev. M.T. Waters

Rev. B.T. McMiller.

Rev. W.H. Hill

Rev. G.W. Barnes

Rev. J.H. Williams

Rev. P.H. Hamlin

Rev. J.E. Jones – November 1957 -  October 1984

Rev. W.E. Whitaker –December 1984 – November 1989

Rev. T. Ray McJunkins – September 1990 – April 1998                                                                                                                                 

Rev. Allen D. Smith – March 20, 1999 - Present

Contents © 2017 ST. JOHN'S MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH | Church Website Provided by mychurchwebsite.net | Privacy Policy